In October 2021, CASE conducted a survey of current and former students from the five public and private universities with the most online students, according to 2018 data from the Department of Education (Western Governors University, Southern New Hampshire University, Liberty University, University of Maryland Global Campus, and the University of Central Florida).
Students were notified of the survey through sponsored digital ads on Facebook and LinkedIn. Respondents were directed to school-specific websites, which provided a short survey that included a series of yes-or-no questions, including:
- Had the respondent received federal student financial aid while attending school;
- Has the respondent heard about Borrower Defense to Loan Repayment;
- Has the respondent completed a Borrower Defense to Loan Repayment application;
- Does the respondent believe his or her school misled them during admissions or active academic years; and
- Is the respondent interested in learning more about student loan relief?